October already! The year is speeding past, so let’s get straight into it. In this edition we bring you more important topics relevant for sports coaches, athletes and others involved in sport:
Athlete Assessments Newsletters – October 2012
- In Why Don’t We Blame the Coach?, we review the end of season shake up and look at who is responsible for the performance of the team.
- When you think of your end-of-season (or year) performance review, do you cringe or cheer? Want to know how you can approach this critical time with confidence in an effective and efficient process? Ask us about our new Coach Performance Review service.
- Which four letter word is more useful in Sport? MBTI vs. DISC. In answer to a frequently asked question, we provide a detailed overview of the Myers-Briggs Personality Type Indicator, its advantages, disadvantages and how it compares to DISC.
- Everyone loves insightful quotes, so we’ve collected a large locker of great quotes by great coaches. Read them for your own inspiration and share your favorites for others to benefit from too.
- Tell Management to “Get a GRIP!” We share the model used by high performing teams, and demonstrate how it is just as valuable within a management context.
- In response to so many requests for help in developing a coaching philosophy, we’re releasing a new ‘How to’ workbook for coaches. (Due out in late October.) Ensure you receive your copy as soon as it is available, put your name on the list now.
- A Little Book of Talent by Daniel Coyle is the focus of our popular book review.
- If you love Women’s Rugby, watch an inspiring video of one of our clients.
- Final spots available in our last Developing High Performing Teams programs for the year (2 places left for Brisbane, 4 for Sydney and 5 for Melbourne only).
- Do you want to benefit from attending great coaches workshops from your desk or home? Join the Alliance of Women Coaches and participate in their October webinar. Bo Hanson is presenting ‘Conflict, Chaos and Cliques‘ – How to navigate a successful season.
- Remember, to stay up to date as things happen, join us on Facebook, Twitter andYouTube.
I love receiving all of your feedback and comments, so please keep it coming! Here we go…Read on now!
WHY DON’T WE BLAME THE COACH?
As sure as death and taxes, every season there are ‘winners’ and then all the rest. And for the teams not deemed to be ‘winners’, the blame game starts and everyone has their opinion as to who was at fault and why. In Why Don’t We Blame the Coach?, Bo Hanson shares his perspective on this never-ending talking point. Read on now.
PERFORMANCE REVIEWS – DO YOU CRINGE OR CHEER?
When we ask coaches about their end of season performance review, we receive a myriad of responses and to be honest very, very few coaches have any element of a positive, useful or relevant experience to tell us about. This needs to change.
In reality, performance evaluations in sport happen every time your team fronts up to compete. But there is more to understanding your performance than simply whether your team won or lost. Every coach is to know where they are placed with their own coaching related performance, based on a set of core competencies (skills) aligned to coaching effectiveness. This is where we come in.
Find out more about our new Coach Performance Review service.
GREAT QUOTES BY GREAT COACHES
Need some inspiration? Take it from some of the best quotes by some of the best sports coaches! We’ve pulled together a stack of insightful quotes from the likes of John Wooden, Pat Summitt, Sue Enquist and Vince Lombardi, just to name a few! Read for your benefit and share your favorites for others to benefit.
WHICH FOUR LETTER WORD IS MORE USEFUL IN SPORT – MBTI vs. DISC
While the title is in fun, we cover a serious question about the similarities and differences between the Myers-Briggs Personality Type Indicator and DISC. Get informed, from our perspective anyway, learn all you need to know about MBTI theory, history and application. Read more about MBTI vs DISC now.
TELL MANAGEMENT TO “GET A GRIP”
The GRIP Model is a performance tool any team can benefit from, be it a sports team or management team. In this article we share how to apply it on the sports administration side. Read on.
DEVELOPING YOUR COACHING PHILOSOPHY – A HOW TO GUIDE
Coming soon! After many requests, we’re about to release a workbook to help coaches through this critical process. So often it is spoken about how important it is for a coach to have a clearly articulated coaching philosophy, yet it is easier said than developed. Well, until now. Ensure you received your copy as soon as it is released.Sign up today.
A LITTLE BOOK OF TALENT BY DANIEL COYLE
This edition, Kate Roskvist reviews Daniel Coyle’s latest book. It is one to order! If you loved The Talent Code, you’ll love this one even more. With 52 Tips for improving performance, it can be your weekly go-to-guide. In a year, you will have benefited from his significant research, wisdom and proven strategies. Read on now.
INSPIRATIONAL WOMEN’S RUGBY VIDEO
Watch only if you like seeing a great team perform! Ok, I’m a little biased because they are a client, but whether you love women’s rugby or not, you can’t resist seeing athletes consistently take it to their opposition. This season the scoreboard looks more like a cricket score than a rugby score. What a wonderful example of a team going from strength to strength. Go Quinnipiac! Watch this video now.
LAST CHANCE FOR THE DEVELOPING HIGH PERFORMING TEAMS PROGRAM
Our all-time most popular program will have its last run for 2012 (and at least another 12 months) at the end of October. After running it more than nine times this year, this is your last chance to participate. There are only:
– 2 places left in the Brisbane program on Tuesday, October 23rd
– 4 places left in the Sydney program on Tuesday, October 30th
– 5 places left in the Melbourne program on Wednesday, October 31st
In sport, is there anything more important than ensuring that the group of people you’re involved with, is operating as a high performing team? We’ve all experienced times when the ‘team chemistry’ has been mediocre at best, or worse when in-fighting impacts on getting the results you want and need. But what about those ‘sweet times’ when the teamwork is phenomenal. We can be very deliberate and strategic about the team we lead. Find out the most effective, proven strategies at the Developing High Performing Teams Program!
Find out more today.
CONFLICT, CHAOS AND CLIQUES WEBINAR
If you are a member of the Alliance of Women Coaches, you can participate in their October Webinar with Bo Hanson presenting. With the topic of Conflict, Chaos and Cliques, you’ll find this both entertaining and enormously beneficial for your season ahead.
CONTINUE TO HAVE AN INCREDIBLE 2012!
As always, if there is anything we can assist you with or that you’d like more information about, we’re absolutely dedicated to being here for you. Let’s achieve together.
My very best,
and the Athlete Assessments Team
Australia: +61 (0)7 3102 5333 | USA: +1 760 742 5157 | UK: +44 20 7193 4575 | NZ: +64 (0)9 889 2979
PS: Feel free to forward this email onto others you believe would be interested or would benefit…
PPS: Remember, to stay up to date as things happen, join us on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube.